Thursday, January 13, 2011

Garden objectives for next year.

We've put ourselves on a strict garden budget this year, so going through seeds and catalogs without having a firm plan in place was an exercise in frustration. Yesterday I sat down and tried to write down exactly what I wanted to accomplish this year.

1 - Grow all of the common vegetables that we use in the summer. Because it's a bit ridiculous to buy bell peppers in the store when you can grow them for pennies.
2 - Grow the amount of vegetables and herbs necessary to make own salsa, tomato sauce, and bottled peppers. Then actually make them.
3 - Grow root vegetables for goats. Convince them that they want to eat them.
4 - Grow comfrey for chickens. If I can find a source.
5 - Grow enough cabbage for slaw, kraut, and kimchi. Not lose it and call my sister in tears if cows break into the garden and eat all 70 healthy transplants like they did last year.
6 - Grow edamame beans for girls. Such a hit last year and soooo easy to grow. I love it when easy meets happy.
7 - Grow peas. Because I have never been able to.
8 - Grow basil for pesto. Not lose it and call my sister in tears if cows eat all 140 healthy transplants like they did last year. Not plant 140 basil transplants. Moderation, moderation.
9 - Grow popcorn? (questionable based on weather) We're in as good of a place as we can be (surrounded by desert and organic farms) to grow corn not tainted by GMOs.
10 - Grow radishes and carrots for fresh eating. Because I'm truly dependent on fresh radishes and baguettes to make my spring feel right.
11 - Grow flowers for my soul. Not swear so loudly if my husband rototills in exactly the spot that I just told him not to rototill, destroying all of my coveted lilac zinnias. Not even think about committing physical assault when he says in a truly baffled voice "But they're just flowers."
12 - (Matt) Start berry patch. Again. My goal is to make sure my goats don't get in it and destroy it in 10 minutes flat. That's just greedy - they need to take at least 20 minutes next time.

Is that too much? Not enough? Still not sure ... But it does give me a more set finish point to base my starting point on. Now to not let the catalogs sway me. Oh, but they do sway me.

5 comments:

the Goodwife said...

LOL! You are so funny! I think it's every gardeners downfall to plant more than they need. Growing is just so theraputic......until the cows eat everything! LOL

aukenburg said...

Thanks to this post I had a dream last night about starting my garden and it seemed perfectly logical to be planting peas, lettuce and carrots in January!

On a more serious note I do need to start planning and you gave me some good ideas.

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Oooh, it's good to have a plan!
Tell me, what variety of edamame did you plant? I've grown edamame 2 years in a row now, with only partial success. Were you able to freeze any of yours or did you eat them all fresh?

Also, I have comfrey. A big patch of it. You figure out if/how I can start a piece for you and I'll be all over it. :-)

seasonseatingsfarm said...

Hi Sarah,

I'd be happy to send you comfrey if you don't mind sharing your address with me. I have plenty. The ground probably won't thaw enough to dig it until late April. If you'd like some you can email me at follette@ccpwireless.com. There's no charge. It was given to me and I enjoy sharing it.

Robin

chook said...

i've always had great results from green and hot peppers, so much so that i had plenty to chop up and freeze. if you have the sunshine and the space, i definitely recommend it. especially because they are so expensive in the story.

re: comfrey. can be *very* invasive. unpleasantly so. it seems like the more you dig/chop at it, the faster it spreads.