Monday, December 20, 2010

Stashbusting #2 - Ainsley's Apple Pants

Ainsley needed new pants, so I found corduroy fabric and said "This?", she squealed and found me a cute pattern in my pattern stash and these were born.

They're from Butterick 4277, a now out-of-print pattern.
I read up on the pattern at PatternReview, a website that my sister has me hooked on. I'm so glad I did. It gave me the confidence to go with the size that I thought I should (size 2 instead of size 4 - this pattern runs BIG) and I added a bit more flare to the bottom as several reviewers said that there wasn't as much flare as the pattern showed.

I'm really glad I made both of those choices. These pants fit her perfectly - both physically and personality-wise.

She chose to add falling apples, and they turned out really cute. All three were supposed to be falling separately, but this is the project in which Sarah learns the value of adding interfacing to the back of the applique. (I put a hole through the pants appliqueing the first apple and had to cover that hole with a second apple.)

I love these - and she loves them. I really want to make another pair, but am unsure if the hang would work with a cotton fabric. They're so fantastic in corduroy! What do you think?

5 comments:

affectioknit said...

Yep! Fantastic! Have a happy last week of Advent!

debbiedas said...

I think they are GREAT! She is SO cute!!! xo

the Goodwife said...

Those are sooooo cute! I'd say if you've got some cotton in your stash that you don't mind sacrificing, give it a shot. They may hang really nice and if not, they can just be play pants. I'm very impressed and you are doing great!

Lindsay said...

Those are just perfect! So cute. Now I want to find a copy of that pattern and make some for Meredith.

Cindy's Custom Creations said...

I think these would be fine in cotton. Ainsley sure has style huh? I've had many projects where things have gotten messed up and the 'fix' I have for the error has added unexpected flair. :-) I think the apples look cute and I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't said anything.