Friday, September 10, 2010

First freeze of the year.

Last Sunday evening. It was so cold. Ains and I were alone for the Labor Day weekend and we picked up my niece to stay with us for a week. It was this cold ...

Chores were done fast. My niece was frustrated that it looked like she was in for a week of freezing, windy, cold weather - not good for horse riding.

The next morning I walked through my garden and mourned my squash plants.

But it was a warm, non-windy day. Perfect for horse-riding.



We've had two hard freezes since then. Our last freeze of the 'spring' was a month past average and our first freeze was two weeks before average. Short summer.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow, Kyrie was just telling me our first frost is estimated for November this year. Canada's supposed to be colder. ;) But last year it was in September. I hope the real cold weather will hold off a little longer for you so you guys can continue to enjoy horse back riding and your garden!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Egad, woman - what are we going to do to keep from going insane this fall/winter. I realized, looking out the window yesterday at the pouring rain, that we had less than 2 months of any kind of weather that could be considered summery. Let's see, according to my calculations, that makes for 10 months of rainy, dreary, chilly, disheartening non-summer. sigh.
Sorry about your squash. The itty bitty tomatoes (that you sent me seeds for) are giving me tons of itty bitties right now. :-)

the Goodwife said...

Oh my! I can't imagine! We are having lovely fall weather here and are hoping to actually get a fall, as we often go from scorching summer right into winter. I couldn't imagine it being that cold already!

Jess said...

Oh bummer! We walk a fine line between garden living and dying here this time of year too. Last year I had frost August 30th, and it took me completely by surprise.

Conny said...

Grrrr on the early frost! Glad you were able to get a horse ride in. The Autumn weather sounds fickle up there. Cheers~

debbiedas said...

Yeah...that just sucks! xo