Sunday, July 25, 2010

It doesn't work that way.

I was a city girl when I married my husband. Didn't want to be a city girl, but that was what I was.

I've put up with a lot of embarrassment over the years as I've learned the basics of living in the country and caring for animals, so you can imagine my (quiet) (okay, not so quiet) (okay, I may have laughed like a hyena) satisfaction when the following conversation happened between my husband and me.

Me: "Guess what? I found out that one of my hens is a setter! All of those eggs that we've been missing? She's been hiding them. She was sitting on a big pile of them when I found her and had the setting posture down and even hissed at me a bit - and she's such a sweet hen!"

Matt: "What did you do with the eggs?"

Me: "Well I didn't know how old they were, so I had to chuck all of them. I felt bad too, because she'd been hoarding them for at least five days."

Matt: "Why didn't you let her stay on them and hatch them out?"

Me: *blink* *blink* "Um.... " *blink* "We don't have a rooster."

Matt: "Oh. That would make hatching them out harder."

Yes it would.

11 comments:

Goodwife said...

Tee hee hee! Logic is sometimes a killer isn't it??

CCC said...

LOL, a rooster might be a good investment. I like those Irricana type guys, they're pretty fun looking.

Rising Rainbow said...

Too funny!

Kytsmom said...

That's something Dan would say! Not that we have chickens yet, but when we do I can tell you know he'd end up saying that at some point!

Cindy's Custom Creations said...

LOL. That story still cracks me up. I was telling Casey the story last night at dinner and he also wondered why you didn't just wait for some baby chicks? Us city folk. LOL

Sue, Joe and Michael Webber said...

Bahahahah! Great stuff and I love that you've shared it with the world! That's exactly what I would do! :D

Annette said...

FDL Sounds like a conversation that could happen at our house. =) Thank you for the laugh.

Plain and Joyful Living said...

This is so funny!
We love our chickens too.

Jess said...

I visited to get your url to pass along to a friend, and cannot believe I didn't comment on this one! Darn satellite internet! I'm sure I tried.

I remember reading this post the first time and laughing so hard I snorted. Sweet revenge. Love it!

inadvertent farmer said...

Hahahaha! Love this...as for getting a rooster, they're a pain in the butt quiet frankly and we're about ready to get our ready for the freezer.

And I don't even feel bad...and I'm a vegetarian, lol! Kim

Aimee @Chickenville said...

Love this! I'm from the city too and when I know something that my husband doesn't know he gets a very funny face. Husbands are worth their weight in gold when it comes to laughing.

We've had to get rid of two roosters - way too loud and aggressive for me.