Thursday, February 18, 2010

That is NOT a chicken.

Look who I found running around and howling in my chicken coop this morning.

Poor thing had gotten himself in but couldn't figure out how to get out.

I was sure when I went in there, I'd find chicken bodies everywhere, but they were all alive and well. I called the owner listed on his tag and let the girls play with him until the owner got here to pick him up. He was a young Irish Setter - only four or five months old - and very friendly, but kind of skittish. When his owner got here, he yelled at him to come and then hit him. The girls were horrified (of course) and we got to have a talk about training dogs and cruelty. Fun stuff.

8 comments:

Grace said...

What a cutie! I'm very impressed that he just visited with the girls, instead of chewing on them.

CaliforniaGrammy said...

Obviously the owner hasn't seen Caesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer in action. What a sweet dog, and what a good dog to leave the chickens alone . . . lucky you!

daharja said...

I'm very glad that he didn't get chicken for breakfast!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Oh. :-(
Heartbreaking. What a jerk.
Poor little guy...I don't even want to think about what kind of life that pup is going to have.

Jess said...

I would have a heart attack if I found a dog in my chicken coop. Thank goodness he didn't touch your birds.

Sarah said...

I can't believe he didn't chew on them either, even in play. Poor thing just wanted *out*. I was very lucky.

I got the impression from the owner that he was embarrassed about his dog. His hitting and yelling was not unlike a parent in a store yelling at their kid because they're embarrassed that their kid is having a meltdown. Poor pup.

Hayden said...

uhgg. No wonder the dog decided to take a vacation.

Sue, Joe and Michael Webber said...

I gave you a Beautiful Blogger award! http://jsmwebber.blogspot.com/2010/02/two-lovely-surprises.html