Thursday, January 7, 2010

My cat needs a hobby.


It happened again. This time the number was much smaller, around thirty, and they were all in the same place, smack dab against the door, not spread all the way around the porch.

The only similarity we could find between the two occurrences was that it rained the night before.

I gathered about five in a small freezer bag and bagged that bag into a larger freezer bag - and didn't tell my husband it was in the freezer. It's not like he'll accidentally mistake it for meat if he does find it (unlike that time that he held up a frozen placenta from my daughter's birth and asked "Is this goat meat?"). I'm asking around to see if any veterinarians in the area will look at them for me. Hopefully before my husband finds them.

The whole time I was gathering, my 3-year-old was standing inside the door saying "Get dat one! Oh, get da baby one. Oh, he so cooooote! Can it be my pet?" Um, no, sweetie, they're going to live in the freezer.

As soon as I could manage it, I ran out to the chicken coop to see if there were any losses there. I only saw one dead mouse, too far back behind the old water tank for me to reach. I did find my Great Calico Huntress, though, curled up in the straw, sound asleep. She's never been one to run around with the chickens - they're beneath her - so that surprised me. It also probably accounts for why there was only one dead mouse.

So, hopefully we'll get an autopsy that will help us narrow down the likely causes, but my husband's pretty sure it's weather related.

A few extra items of note:

- I don't know what caused the confusion, but some people think that my cats and dogs won't eat these suicidal mice. Maybe it was me saying that my cats have never bothered the chickens and something was lost in translation? I don't know. The truth is, the cats and dogs eat them up like candy. Candy mice.

- Don't know if this is related, but it's creepy enough to report. A few nights ago, we were coming back from town after dark and in the last mile before we hit our house, we easily ran over more than a hundred mice. Thousands of them were running across the road, and they weren't just running in one direction, they were running in both directions. Really strange, really creepy, I had my feet up on my seat, and my husband was rolling his eyes. For the record, I'm not scared of mice, I don't squeal, but that was just wrong.

Discuss.

How it started. (the pictures that started it all)

The first update.

17 comments:

~~ Melissa said...

I'm intrigued by your mouse invasion (tucking my feet up on my chair as I write this-lol). I hope you'll get an answer. Your cat must think its in heaven.

Goodwife said...

How strange! I'm curious to hear what the vet has to say.

Christy said...

Keep us updated, this is the strangest thing I've ever heard.

Barbee' said...

I don't know. Do mice migrate? Sounds like part of a scary movie!

Maria said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

Garden Pheenix said...

Ok that IS wrong. Why their in those numbers, I have no idea, but it sounds like your meow meow is just picking them off one by one en mass.

Weeeeird.

And yes, it is wrong...

(How much do I love that you had your placenta in the freezer. Homebirther ftw!)

healinggreen said...

That is just too too wierd. Looking forward to what the vet might say. You might want to talk some nearby farmers, too, and see if they have any insights...Specially the oldtimers.

Barbee' said...

Maybe they are acting like lemmings.(?)

Barbee' said...

Me again, guess I'm fascinated by this puzzle. If the mice were running both directions across the road it sounds like a war battle. Makes me think of the book Watership Down.

Christy said...

wrong indeed. sounds like the opening scene to a Stephen King novel...

best of luck!

kellyi said...

The only thing I can think of is a mouse version of myxomatosis.

We used to live in the Scottish Highlands and there was a severe outbreak in the rabbit population a few years back. We literally drove down the road running over the poor animals every second. It was horrible but very much like your problem.

Hope you get your answers, because it is all a bit creepy!

Conny said...

Aaack!! A mouse migration across the road?? It's a good thing your cat is on duty - imagine how many could be coming to your house? Ick! That's the stuff of nightmares.

We have some pretty odd stuff in our spare freezer, but no rodents. All the questionable stuff is in brown paper bags. Before I met him, my hubby used to do his own taxidermy: we have a fox skull, an old pheasant hull, and someone's wood duck waiting.

Good luck with the rodent mystery. The saga gets better and better.

ZDub said...

Oh. My. HolyBalls.

Are they getting into some sort of poison? Are they commiting mass suicide?

I think your mice are in a cult, that's what it is.

I like your blog, BTW.

Kyre said...

Ummm...freaky.

I'm really, really curious to know what the heck is going on with your weirdo mice.

CatHerder said...

oh HAHAHA i read your old post too, and almost died laughing..laughing, because one day my husband was chasing a mouse through the house (with a hanger in his hand, not sure where he was gonna hang the mouse if he caught it)..he proceeded to trap it in our fireplace, where all eight of my cats were sleeping on the couch next to it...they picked their heads up..yawned, and rolled over...no overachievers here lol......love your blog!

Jenna said...

While I won't be shrieking on a tabletop over the image of the great mouse massacre... it IS making me wonder just what the heck is going on with critters at the moment. We don't have the mouse issue here (at the moment. Knock wood. Pretty please.) but in addition to lots of critters in areas they hadn't been before - the more dangerous creepy crawly numbers are mounting. Brown recluse spiders are the issue here - and THOSE... well. Those I'll admit to screaming over!

Grizzly Girl said...

Wow, that is incredibly weird! Keep us updated so we know what's going on! lol