Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Skirt tutorial and updates.

First, I wanted to point you over to my other blog for a tutorial on how to make three-tiered skirts. Just in case you're interested.



No surprise, it's been cold here. Seven degrees Fahrenheit yesterday morning, minus three degrees this morning. And wind that'll blow you away. It makes it miserable for the kids to go outside at all, even to get to the car. Without the wind, it would be bearable, but this wind - it even makes the adults cower inside.

Right before this cold spell hit, we got the goats set up with their shelter, which they only leave to get a drink or a bite to eat. I get to bond with them once a day while we all stand shivering around their grain pails. We also put plywood up around the inside of the shed I'm using for the chickens. The walls were full of cracks and holes and I didn't want my chickens living with that through the winter. Now it's very snug. When I'm done feeding calves and am feeding the chickens, I'll hang out in the shed a few extra minutes to get the courage to run back to the house. The temperature change is surprising between the outside and the inside.

This morning I gave my chickens hot oatmeal as a treat. They enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed carrying a steaming pan out there.

We saw this yesterday when we were driving home from the store -


Made me think of my Arizona dwelling sister and her smug attitude every time we talk on the phone from December through March. ;)

3 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

What a pretty skirt. I must send a link to your tutorial to my grown-up daughter who is just starting to make her own clothes.

Tell your sister that Christmas without snow is just NOT the same . . . and try not to shiver too much as you tell her!

Cindy said...

Hee. I actually miss having the changing seasons here. But I say, this is our reward for enduring the scorching summers that don't end until November. And if it makes you feel better, it has been hovering near freezing at night here the last week. Okay, it doesn't make you feel better, but it makes US shiver! LOL

Heather said...

What a lovely skirt. Looks very sunny and cheery. ;-)