Thursday, December 24, 2009

Making friends.

On Solstice, we made treats for our local birds and put them out.

I've been saving these sunflower seed heads for months just for this purpose.

I like the way they look, but am not sure if the birds will brave the cats to explore them.

It's been blowing 50 - 60 mph here for the last three days, and it's been a steady wind. This morning dawned clear and still and the animals, both wild and domestic, are celebrating. It might be cold, but it's cold without wind. Oh, that makes a difference.

The snow is hard. The girls can walk on it without it breaking, and it even holds my weight most of the time.

Happy Holidays, readers. I hope you have a wonderful time with family.

5 comments:

chook said...

i love the footprints. and your birdy treats.

Theresa said...

Nice blog, just found it. I am trying to grow food too, but in a tropical climate that is new to me.

Garden Pheenix said...

Wow. I absolutely love the bird feeder thing you guys made. I hope you don't mind that I am TOTALLY stealing that next year. After Christmas this year I am completely fed up with the way Christmas is done on every level and I am already considering new ways to celebrate the season next year as Solstice. Thanks for a fantastic idea!

Also... despite the fact that we don't get snow and you guys do... how do you find it living in a high wind area? I do too... sometimes I love it and sometimes I absolutely hate it on my hill. I really can't decide though.

Anyway <3

Farmgirl_dk: said...

I love that you were able to do stuff with your sunflower heads...I think I waited too long to bring mine in to dry and they all (every single one) molded up in the barn. Sad.
Happy New Year, Sarah :-)

Jody M said...

Because of the angle of the seed heads, you know, the way they are hanging....for a moment I thought they were mice.