Sunday, August 2, 2009

Want to see Today's Flowers?

Zinnias are blooming after a necessary late start.






The earwigs and I are waging a bitter battle over my zinnias. After they felled two of my huge, healthy Russian Mammoth sunflowers, I declared war.

I scattered diatomaceous earth around the sunflowers, which solved that problem, but then I noticed the zinnias leaves getting holes in them. It took about three seconds to locate the hundred or so little earwigs burrowing into the baby zinnia blossoms.

Using DE around the zinnias wouldn't be really effective because they're planted so thickly and there are so many places for the bugs to hide. And it would make the leaves all white. So I decided on a different plan of attack. Now, every morning when I go outside, even before I milk, I go through the zinnias and collect all the little earwigs I can find. The first morning was easily over one hundred, the second morning no more than fifty, and now, six mornings into it, I rarely find over fifteen. And my chickens love me.

Does anybody know what these flowers are?



Thanks for checking out my Today's Flowers.

11 comments:

Carletta said...

I love the pink one - so 60's looking! I think that's telling my age. :)

My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

Pat - Arkansas said...

I occasionally see earwigs around, or even IN my house, but I had no idea they could do so much damage to flowers. I'll have to start looking closely when a plant starts looking strange. Unfortunately, I have no chickens to which to feed the critters.

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Marju said...

A truly beautiful flowers, wonderful colors!

SandyCarlson said...

Your zinnias are great. Mine never survive the slugs. Beautiful shots. I wish I could help with names.

Lily Hydrangea said...

I live Zinnias but never planted my seeds this year. Have you ever planted them late?
I never knew the Earwigs were the one's eating them!
Yours are so pretty.

Sarah said...

Carletta, I love that pink one too.

Pat, I had no warning on my sunflowers. They just ate the stem at ground level and next thing I knew, my gorgeous sunflowers were toppling over. Ugh.

Lily, I planted my zinnias late this year because we moved in June, so they didn't get planted until early June. I thought they'd never bloom in time.

Amy said...

Zinnias are my favorite flowers! Those and Marigolds. Have you ever tried mixing the DE with water to make a spray? I tried it during our annual spring battle with the ants in the kitchen and it worked GREAT. We had ants for 1 day, and I haven't see another. DE also works well if you just make it into a paste, but spraying it on your flowers would be easy! We have earwigs here this year and they keep getting in my chicken feed and making webs or something in the grains. Those little bugs drive me crazy.

Happily Retired Gal said...

Lovely Zinnia blossoms in beautiful colors. Sorry about the earwigs. Seems it's always something in a garden. I've never been able to keep Zinnias alive in my garden.
Hugs and blessings,

Heather said...

Your picture of your calendula makes me long for my old garden. This is the time of year we used to pick loads of calendula petals to make our healing salves. It always seems such a cheerful flower to me. ;-)

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Did you mean the blue flower or the white ones? The blue is a batchelor's button and the white looks like bladder campion that is a wildflower or a weed.

The hot, dry wind sounds terrible! It's raining here now.

Sarah said...

Nita, I meant the blue ones, but I'm glad to know what both of them are. Thank you! They came in a package of random wildflower seeds, so I didn't know what they were.