Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Oh, it was a big day today.

In the butterfly garden, we have our first flowers grown from seed.


They're tiny, but we grew those ourselves! So exciting for my budding (hee) little gardener. They're in our 'wildflower rainbow'.

Also, she got to ride in the tractor with Daddy while he mowed down some tall weeds in a neighboring field.


I checked on my potatoes today and found these -


Hundreds of these. Maybe only tens, but it sounds more daunting to say hundreds. Do you know what they are? They were trying to disguise their little larvae bodies as ladybugs (and were doing a fine job of it as far as my two year old was concerned), but I wasn't fooled.


I'm not very good at close-up pictures, but if you look closely you can see the little red monsters all over the plants. On the top, on the bottom, they were everywhere.


Fat off of my potato plants.

I looked online to try to figure out what they were, but most pages, like this one, focused mainly on the Colorado Potato Beetle, aphids, flea beetle, and wireworm, all of which this obviously is not. (Though I do know now what I've been throwing off of my tomatoes and they can go back to Colorado, thank you very much.)

If you know what this is, could you enlighten me please?

Little buggers.

4 comments:

The Old Gray Egg said...

It's the larva of a Colorado potato beetle. You can infest your garden with assassin bug nymphs to eliminate them without chemicals. Check out http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/chatham/ag/SustAg/farmphotojuly405.html
Good luck.

Jody M said...

I've had a few of those on my potato plants, I thought they were potato beetles in a larval stage or some such thing.

Like these? www.flickr.com/photos/chlorophonia/3640348529/

Sarah said...

Thank you so much, both of you!

Now to find where to get assassin bug nymphs - great option!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Blech...nasty things. Glad you've identified them. I dealt with root maggots in my bean patches earlier this season...talk about disGUSTing!
Hannah's little purdy white flowers are alyssum...they smell as sweet as they look, don't they? She must be so excited. :-)