Thursday, June 4, 2009

Planting flowers.

We did different things with the different kids to help them feel more comfortable with moving to a new house. Grayson didn't need much convincing - Mommy and her chest was going to the new house, so so was he. Ainsley was excited about having a flat driveway to ride her bike on. Hannah was promised a butterfly garden. I'll go into more of the details later, but here are some pictures of our planting today.

Since immediate gratification is not always a bad plan, and can many times help kids appreciate what they are doing more, the girls each picked out some ready-to-plant flowers.

Ains planted her marigolds very carefully.

The picture would have turned out better if Grayson hadn't decided to attack the camera at that moment.

And trust me - there is a good explanation for every single thing in the background of that picture. The clothes hamper, for example, was the only blasted thing I could find in my house that helped me get up high enough to hang the hanging flower basket we bought.

In addition to the already blooming plants, we planted three varieties of wildflower seeds in a rainbow pattern. The first layer was a store-bought package, the second layer was from my husband's grandfather's property, the third layer was from a field near my sister-in-law's house.

Hannah is taking this job very seriously. She helps me dig (for at least forty seconds before she 'needs to take a break from all this hard work'), helps me scatter the seeds, and helps me cover them up with soil (for at least thirty seconds before she stops because 'I want to make sure you have a chance to do as much as you want to do, Mother').


I'll post more pictures of what we started with and our current set-up soon.

5 comments:

Farmgirl_dk: said...

You all have so much going on and still you do it with such style and grace! Grayson's "happy move" requirements cracked me up. Oh, to always be able to fulfill our child's needs like that, huh?
Hannah is such a good and thoughtful helper. Tell me, *did you* get a chance to do as much as you wanted to? lol

Is it just as windy at your new place as your last one?

Tuan's Princess said...

Don't know where else to comment but I absolutely love your header pic of Hannah leading the pony and holding Ainsley's hand.

Cindy said...

I also love your new header picture! I'm glad Hannah was so thoughtful to make sure you got to do your part! And 40 seconds of digging likely is tiring! LOL

Carolee / Home4ever said...

Great pics!

I have chosen your blog as one of 15 to win the prestigious “Lovely Blog” award. Stop by my blog & grab it

http://workinginjammies.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Danni, I don't do it with style and grace, but having you say that gives me the warm fuzzies and makes me *want* to do it with style and grace. :)