Friday, May 1, 2009

Chicken update

I've noticed that, for me, giving a gift of freshly laid eggs is like giving a homemade gift. It was the chickens that did the work, but it still feels that I'm giving something special, that comes just from me.



I've pared back my chickens as I planned. My Cuckoo Marans are gone. Those got snatched up fast. Several of my Buckeyes are gone, as are two of my Ameraucanas. I was planning on selling all of my Ameraucanas but my husband (who usually has no opinions about poultry) asked that we keep a few of those - he likes the eggs.

Now I'm down to a more manageable number right as egg production starts to really kick in.

My daughter has learned to make her first "on her own" dish - egg drop soup. It's very simple. She'll get the chicken broth out of the fridge, pour it into the pot, add salt, break the eggs into a bowl, stir them up, pour them in, and add the soy sauce. All she needs me to do is turn on the burner and help her stir the eggs fast enough that they're tendrils. She eats it at least once a day. We need all the eggs we can get.

3 comments:

Farmgirl_dk: said...

I feel the same way you do with the gifty feeling of my eggs. I'm always so pleased to present them wrapped up with a sweet raffia ribbon...I've found not everyone feels the same way I do, though. ("Oh...eggs...thanks. thanks a lot.") lol
We sold five dozen yesterday, though, just because I've suddenly become overrun with eggs.
How many chickens do you have now? And why did you get rid of your cuckoo marans? Aren't those the ones that lay the incredible chocolate-color eggs?

RunninL8 said...

I would be elated if someone dropped fresh eggs by the house!!!
Hmm, I wonder if my picky eater would be into making some egg drop soup?!

Barb and Steve said...

I can't wait to get some chickens. Those eggs look delicious!
Barb