Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Spring's a tease.

But today she decided to play nice. Pony riding was possible.

We had a nice soft breeze, so Hannah and I worked on the flax seeds. We should have done them last fall, but the wind is so strong through the fall and winter that winnowing then would have blown away both seeds and chaff.

I left the flax stalks in the dry, cool bunkhouse. We pulled them out this morning and went to work. Hannah and I banged them back and forth in the bucket until there were no seeds left on the stalks.
Then I found a good place in the breeze to pour the pile from one bucket to the other. The breeze was gentle enough to blow away the chaff and light, useless seeds but let the heavy seeds fall into the bottom bucket. It took about ten minutes of pouring back and forth to get it as clean as I wanted it to be.

I couldn't stay in just one place while I winnowed because I had this little guy chasing me around trying to tip over the buckets. He was having a blast crawling in the warm grass.

While I cleaned the bunkhouse, Gray played with the kitties, Ains napped, and Hannah played at climbing.


1 comment:

Christy said...

What a wonderful day!