Sunday, April 26, 2009

Catching up.

I have so many things to post here, but I have limited computer time, so this blog gets a bit neglected, poor thing.

Summer's not here yet and I'm just now - at 32 years old - starting to accept that spring is not summer. Spring is not hot. Spring is hot and cold and warm and chilly and sunny and rainy and snowy and sleety. I need to accept this and work with it.

As do the farmers around here. Every year, some farmers get antsy and this happens.


Our 'last spring frost' date is May 15 (though last year it was well into June), yet every year, farmers around here say things like "I've heard that our frosts are done for the year" and try watering through the night.

This Buckeye hen really likes Hannah. As long as Hannah can hold her arm steady, that hen will sit there and croon at her.

This picture just makes me smile. Their mom officially introduced them to the world today. We heard mewing and looked over to see Aradia strutting across the yard with four bounding balls of fluff behind her. They're now ensconced in the lilac bushes.

My least favorite job with my dairy goats - disbudding. I've made the choice to not have horned goats on my property, so any babies that will possibly be staying have to be disbudded. It's a fast affair and ten minutes after they've been put back with their momma they don't seem to remember it, but that doesn't fool me into thinking that it's any less unpleasant for them than it actually is.

This is Karl. He comes from great milking lines and will likely be one of my breeding bucks for next year, so he's being disbudded. In this picture I've shaved off one of the buds but the other is still covered in hair. He was four days old.

Here he is shaved and disbudded. He has nice (though I think too large) copper rings around each bud. We'll see if I messed up and he has scurs. It was only my third time doing it and it was my first time doing it alone. Hard to hold him and disbud at the same time.

Hannah taking him back to his momma.

I threw my hands up (a few posts back) and said that I was going to start doing things here whether I knew what our future here was going to be or not. So Hannah and I started talking about doing a butterfly garden for her and she picked out some flower seeds.

For the record, she decided that every flower variety was perfect for her garden.

As we turned over the soil and broke some new ground in that area, we hauled some pieced of sod and grass to the chickens who absolutely loved it.


I'll need to disbud Katrina tomorrow if it's warm enough. Not looking forward to that.

3 comments:

DebbieCoblentz said...

So where are thinking about moving to?

Candace said...

Hi Sarah,
Oh the disbudding process is awful, isn't it?
I am really enjoying my dairy goats. I am spending a lot of time trying to figure out what to do with all of the milk.
How about you?
I have been debating whether or not to keep my own buck, any advice on that?
Thanks!

Danielle said...

Ugh, I hate the disbudding. I've decided not to do the goats any more. I have tiny Nigerian dwarf goats, so it's not as much of an issue as it would be with larger goats.

I had the vet come do the calf's horns for me, and it was far less traumatic with a shot of lidocaine under each horn first.

Still no word on the move, huh?