Monday, March 23, 2009

Do you see what I see?

Said the mom, I see a little lamb.

Do you see what I see?

A lamb, a lamb running through my house,

It will bring me smiles and joy.


It will bring me smiles and joy.

*sigh* Cutie the lamb has entered the building. In the interest of full disclosure, it not only happened on my husband's watch, but he was the instigator. For two hours "Cutie" and the girls raced around the house and cuddled in front of the tv.

Interesting tidbit about Cutie's family life. While the granny may have stolen his chance to be raised by his momma, his brother has refused to be prejudiced. All of the lambs in the jugging pens are small enough for the first week to hop through the wire panels if they like. None of them like to because that's away from mom. None of them except for the brother of Cutie (who runs up and down the alley of the lambing shed) - he spends most of his day with Cutie and as long as Cutie behaves himself (read: doesn't try to nurse), his momma doesn't mind him sleeping with them. That's nice. Now that they've all been moved out to the feedlot area, Cutie hangs with his brother and the other lambs until we come out with his bottle.

And here's a picture of a momma with brand-new lambs (the smaller one I had to help come out - that's the second time I've had to help at a birthing). I took this picture to show the persistence of the granny ewe. That's her on the other side of the fence, trying to convince the babies that she'd make a better momma. As long as she can't get between them and their momma, they're fine. Poor granny.

5 comments:

jimmycrackedcorn said...

Why does the lamb look to have been painted green on it's back?

Sarah said...

You've got good eyes! We used a livestock marking grease pen (looks like a big crayon)to mark him that way the day he was born so that we could keep track of him. When we were trying to help his mom accept him, we needed a way to make sure we were looking at the right lamb and not his brother. It will slowly wear off - in a week or two it won't even be noticeable.

Christy said...

My husband would kill us if we brought our bottle baby in the house! I'd love to though.

Cindy said...

Thanks for posting the pictures... I love the puppy in the background too. (Did he mind Cutie visiting?) Ains looks completely and totally in HEAVEN. Love it!

Sarah said...

Christy, we bring them in when they need the help staying warm or getting a better start than they'll get outside. But bringing one in just to play? That was my husband's doing. I won't admit to enjoying having it curl up at my feet next to the puppy to nap. Because I did.

Cindy, isn't that funny? And, no, the puppy didn't mind him coming into his space. Far from it. It was actually a great training episode for a dog who will be living around livestock to learn not to treat them like toys.