Friday, January 23, 2009

So after I dissed my Ameraucanas, I found a gorgeous green egg in the egg nest. I had a hold-out!

Here's a sample of the eggs I find in a day -


Directly above the green egg is the tinted egg that I'd been getting from another Easter Egger. Barely tinted green enough to notice it's not brown, but not exciting. The green egg in the center is really vibrant, but my camera skills are sub-par.

To the right of the green-ish egg are four very light brown eggs. These are from my Buckeyes. They're really lovely, but so light.

The next two eggs are the typical brown shade you'd find in the grocery store.

The next three are the deep brown laid by my Marans, the 'chocolate eggers'. Once again, the vibrancy just isn't there in the photo.

I was surprised to find I was getting 12 eggs a day from my 24 birds, this being winter and all. Then I found out that my husband was turning the light on in our shed when he got home at night to chore, sometimes forgetting to turn it off, and turning it off in the early morning when he went to work. My poor birds must be so confused.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh that is really neat. I didn't realize they'd actually lay different coloured eggs. So are the ones we get in the store from that same type of chicken? What kind of chicken lays the white ones? (Or are those white because of some other reason, since it seems only the non-free range chickens have white eggs from what I can tell.)

I can't wait until we live somewhere that we can have our own chickens. :)

Christy said...

Those eggs are beautiful! I love the dark brown ones.

Sarah said...

Christy, those dark brown ones are so pretty, aren't they?

Hey Linds! I don't have any white egg layers. Different breeds lay different colors, it has nothing to do with free-range or feed. You can take the high-end bred egg-layers that the factories use (the ones in the store) and put them on free-range and they'll still lay white eggs. The reason that most 'free-range' labeled eggs are brown is because consumers who want to buy organic, free-range, etc, will pay more for brown eggs. I had a friend here who pasture raised her white egg layers but couldn't get more than grocery store prices for the eggs. Then she bought some brown-egg layers and was getting over $3/dozen for her eggs. Go figure.

green said...

I do not eat green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Somebody had to say it ;)