Thursday, November 20, 2008

Rendering Lard

When we had our hog harvested this summer, I had the slaughter facility save the fat for me. I also was able to convince my brother-in-law and cousin to let me have the fat from their hogs that were slaughtered at the same time. So I had fat from three hogs sitting in my freezer. I had to bite the bullet and try to get it rendered before I had my last roosters and my turkeys added to the freezer.

I'd tried rendering fat from our last steer into tallow. Not a success. Not at all. Ask my sister who was visiting me at the time. It was like I was cooking a carcass. I used the traditional, commonly suggested method of rendering the fat in water on the stove. I had so much beef fat that I tried three times with three slightly different methods. Fail, fail, STINKY fail. So I wasn't looking forward to this.

Then I found this post. Glory Hallelujah. It worked. And it worked like a charm. It didn't even *smell*! Not bad, not good, no smell at all. Three hogs took me two full days of constantly adding solid fat and pouring off liquid fat. You're not going to believe me, but I'm going to say it anyway... You *can* get sick of the sight of melting pork fat.

I got fifteen and a half jars of beautiful lard. My planned use for these is making goat milk soap next summer.

6 comments:

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Gorgeous lard - which is really funny to say. Some people run from lard clutching their heart! Mine is still in the freezer...

Candace @ A Garden of Blessings said...

Wow!
I don't know anything about the process, but I can imagine it is not easy.
Good for you!
I've been asking around, and good lard is hard to find!

SabrinaT said...

I am keeping a diary of all the things I WILL do when we buy our home and retire to Alaska! This is great! Who know..

Sarah said...

TTC - I hear ya. If you'd told me five years ago that I'd be not only rendering lard, but taking pictures of it and proudly posting them publicly, I'd have called you a nutter. lol How the mighty have fallen.

Candace, good lard *is* hard to find. I'm naturally suspicious and have a hard time believing the butcher when he says that any and all of the fat he has is antibiotic free, so I have to make my own. This process really was *so* easy. The first process I tried? Hmm - not so much.

Sabrina - Welcome! I love your blog. You know, if you do this, you could make your own soap...

Christy said...

Those look beautiful! Are they pressure canned or hot water? I guess if they are for soap it might not be so important.

Sarah said...

Christy, I poured the hot lard into the bottles and then put the lids on. The heat sealed them pretty well and then when they were cool I put them in the freezer. As far as I know, if you do it this way, there's no need to process the bottles.