Monday, November 3, 2008

Eggs.

We got our first egg a few weeks back.


I saw it in the coop and sent Hannah in to 'check for eggs'. She had checked every day for the last two weeks, so was as optimistic as only children can be but still quite stunned when there was actually an egg in there.


She wanted to fry it up immediately. Unfortunately, in her excitement she broke the egg on the way to the house, much to the kittens' delight.

The second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth eggs fared no better, though they made it incrementally closer to the house. Finally we got an egg into the house, got the water to boil it (by this time, frying was no longer appealing for some reason), and the egg fell onto the floor. The eighth egg got boiled.

We now have four hens laying, though the rest should start up soon. I didn't expect any to start laying until the first week of November, so the first layer was a very early maturing hen.

Hannah now has a 'job', self-assigned, to gather eggs every afternoon. Now that all the roosters are 'harvested' (oh, how I'll miss their crowing - I enjoyed that), she's not nervous at all out there. They had yet to threaten her, but she was nervous.

3 comments:

Candace @ A Garden of Blessings said...

That's great! Fresh eggs are so wonderful.
I see on your side bar list that you want to get a milk cow. Are you going to give up milking the goats?

Sarah said...

Candace, I don't think I'll be giving up the goats. I really, really enjoy them and they are inexpensive to keep, once you get the fencing figured out.

I plan on trying to make goat milk soap next year, so that will be another reason to keep them. Right now, where we live, we have a great source of organic, raw milk for less than grocery store factory farmed milk, so I'm comfortable holding off on getting a cow for now. It's the cream that had me really desperate for raw cow milk. Cows are so much bigger and more expensive to keep, but they have a lot of plusses also - one being that I just plain want a milk cow. But now that we've (just recently) locked down this clean, raw milk source, I'm not pushing for it in the near future.

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

Ha ha ha! I love the egg chronicles! :) I remember how much trouble my brothers would get into for putting the eggs in their pockets. When I reached the egg gathering age, I was always really careful because of how many they broke. Your kids will have so many fun childhood memories. I love the turkeys by the way, so beautiful.