Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Applesauce.

My sister brought over some organic apples she'd picked.

My neighbor lent me her Victorio Strainer.

My daughter offered her help.

My son tried to stand up by grabbing onto my sweats and pulling them down. That gets old halfway through the first time. My son got put on my back where he giggled and kicked and encouraged my daughter in her work.

Have you ever seen a Victorio Strainer? Have you ever *used* a Victorio Strainer? This is my new kitchen obsession. For applesauce, you quarter the apple, remove the stem, steam the apple, and put it through the strainer. That's it. What comes out one side is the applesauce. What comes out the end is the skin and seeds. It's brilliant. And a four year old can do it.


Look at that! Four quarts of applesauce. Ready to go.


I'm a relative newbie at canning - haven't done too much of it. I thought I had all the bubbles out, but obviously I didn't. Next time...

7 comments:

country girl said...

Hi Sarah:

My favorite applique book is called "Applique 12 Easy Ways." The author is Elly Sienkiewicz. She's sort of the goddess of applique. After trying all of her ways, I've settled on needle turn but it took me about six months to realize that was for me. My husband and I also practice low mileage meals. We don't grow anything on our five acres, well except weeds, but we live just down the road from an organic farm that supplies all of our fruit and vegetable needs, the lady across the street supplies our eggs and we belong to a meat club. The meat (chicken, beef, pork, lamb and goat) come from nearby ranches who do not use any antibiotics or hormones. Have you read "The Omnivore's Dilemma." We discovered the book about 18 months ago. It has changed our health and our lives. Good to hear from you. I officially added your blog to my list of must reads. Kathy

country girl said...

One more comment. Have you read or listened to "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver? It's the story of the year she and her family lived entirely off their land. She has a great chapter on turkeys. The web site is www.animalvegetablemiracle.com
Lots of good recipes. Also, the appliqued heart quilt pictured on my blog is from Elly Sienkiewicz's book. I made it for the applique class I took.

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Wait, I'm confused...don't you have to cook the apples first to make applesauce? Or are you doing that then, effectively, by putting it in a hot water bath to can it? Hmmmm....

hen said...

I bet it's delicious!

you make it sound so easy!

hen
x

p.s. I've replied to your comment you left me aboot the baskets!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

Aren't those strainers the best. That's what I use for all my tomato sauces too. Saves a tremendous amount of work.

Sarah said...

Country Girl - welcome! Thank you so much for answering my questions! I really want to start doing appliques for my daughters and I couldn't find a lot of help, even on craft forums.

I really enjoyed both Omnivore's Dilemma and Kingsolver's book. I didn't know she had recipes on her website. I'll have to go check it out.

DK, When I steamed them for about 20 minutes, they were soft and smelled all mushy and warm and delicious. According to the owner's manual, that's all you need to do. So. Easy.

Hen, it is *so* easy! I love this tool. Definitely worth investing in. I want one of those baskets - even a small and rustic one. ;)

Trapper, I was hoping you'd comment - I was wondering if this would work as well for other foods - especially tomatoes. I've never had the energy to do tomato sauce before. With this, no problem!

TheOrganicSister said...

Wow! I want that contraption! I think I'll add it to my wish list. Thanks for sharing!