Monday, September 29, 2008

Our plums are just now diminishing. We had a *lot* this year. I'm not sure what type they are - they're small. A full, ripe plum will fit in the center of your palm. But they're very tasty. The girls and I have spent many fall afternoons picking plums. We've canned three experimental plum recipes - a chutney, a conserve, and a steak and burger sauce, all from my *big* Ball book of preserving. The conserve we've tried already and it is *tasty*.

This is us heading down into the trees. The camera angle is wonky because Gray was on my back and right as I snapped the picture, I heard what I thought was violent projectile vomiting. It turns out that it *was* violent projectile vomiting, but since he was on my back, there wasn't much projecting.

*shudder*



We had a wonderful crop this year - more plums than we or our friends could harvest.

Hannah had a stick and she wasn't afraid to use it. The "dang darn goats" kept coming after her basket of plums.

So I shook one of the branches and tons of ripe plums came down. That kept them busy for awhile.

Long enough for Ainsley to try the plums and realize she liked them.


Really liked them.

Liked them enough to defend them herself when Tamari got bored with the goat's pile under the trees.

Hannah handed me one of these double plum anomalies and said "Look, Mother. They look like your breasts."

Isn't she sweet? I *wish* that's what my breasts looked like.

In the interest of being totally, completely, fully, and unnecessarily honest, I have to say that *this* is closer to what they look like these days.

What can I say? Nursing does that to a girl.

At least it's not as bad as all this yet...

8 comments:

seasonseatingsfarm said...

Oh Sarah! I've been laughing out loud with one hand over my mouth.

One of my friends was getting out of the shower one morning when her five year old marched into the bathroom. "Mom? What are those hangy down thingeis on your front?" Out of the mouths of babes. Apparently the hangy down thingies didn't look like she remembered them after her two younger sisters were done with them.

Cindy said...

I can't stop laughing. Hannah is your favorite child today.

(Love the 'smiling' potato on your header too)

Tuan's Princess said...

Your blog is so much fun to read! Bummer we missed the plums (darn colds) but we really, really, really appreciate the offer!

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I came here looking for wonky plum boobs, and here they are! ;) Those look luscious, are they wild? Our wild plums are so sour, they need sugar. I need to pick our prunes today, when they are wrinkled and dried they will look like my boobs!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Projectile vomiting and anatomy shaped fruit - your blog is always my first stop in the mornings! :-)

Sarah said...

SEF - That's funny! I can totally see a kid saying that. lol

Cindy - isn't that potato great? That's what you get when you don't get perfect store tomatoes. He makes me smile.

TP (hee - your abbreviation makes me think of toilet paper) - We missed you. I wish you could have come over. Don't be a stranger, I have two bags of potatoes for you.

Trapper - If you think those look luscious, you should see the real things! ;) I don't *think* they're wild plums - they're not bitter at all. Tastier, in fact, than the larger store plums. You just have to use a lot more of them in recipes. But they're easier for the girls to eat. lol about your prunes.

DK - you made my morning. Thank you!

Taylor said...

LOL! Thank you for your honesty! It makes for a very funny post.

I'm jealous of your plums. They are some of my absolute favorite fruits and I haven't found many up here in MA.

Serene Designs said...

Yes! Well, at least your plums are perky. Once I'm not nursing, it looks likes someone sucked all the juice away and left the skins behind... oh wait! That's exactly what happened! LOL