Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Overheard.

Hannah saying to Ariel's female baby, in a matter-of-fact voice. "Come eat the raisin. You need to tame down or you'll have to visit our freezer."

Hannah's been working with Ariel's babies daily since they were born, but the female, Triplip, has gotten an attitude problem in the last week. She runs away instead of toward Hannah, she collapses when you catch her and just lays there like you're a predator she's hiding from. I don't understand it. If more of the babies were having attitude problems, I'd think something had gotten in and scared them or that I wasn't watching my little one and she was chasing them, but it's just Triplip out of all the babies. The rest are very friendly. I'm afraid we may have a repeat of Tamari's Cayenne baby from last year - just a nutty kid that won't tame down. It's a bit genetic, or maybe learned (although Trip, Ariel's other kid, is just fine). I've been milking Ariel for a week and I still have to catch her to milk her instead of her coming in for the grain on her own. Physion's waiting for me in the morning (so is Tamari and I'm not even milking her), but Ariel still takes Dan to close off escape routes to get her to the milking stand. She's better than she was, but not as good as she needs to be, and I think her daughter's either inherited that or is watching momma a bit too closely.

Tonight I gave Hannah some raisins to try to bribe Triplip into taming down some more. The other babies were eating the raisins up. Hannah had to open her baby's mouth up and stick the raisin in. Then the baby would spit it out. No matter how many times Hannah stuck the raisin in, that goat would spit it out. Reminded me of when we tried to see if Hannah would like a pacifier when she was an infant. She didn't.

We're sitting down in a few weeks and having the "who do we keep" discussion. That discussion will deal with cost of feed, genetics, available land, usefulness of all of the animals - sheep, cattle, horses, goats. Hannah will be involved in the discussion this year since she has a goat. She knows this and is preparing for it - she's trying to prepare her goats for it also, giving them the best chance to stick around. Animals with attitude don't stick around on a farm with young kids, and with the price of feed, not many of those babies will be sticking around anyway. This necessary part of animal raising - culling - is not fun.

5 comments:

Farmer Jen said...

Maybe she just doesn't like raisins.

Sarah said...

Exactly what I thought - just like my daughter with her pacifier. Just didn't like it.

We're trying other incentives, but so far, no dice on any of them.

goatgirl said...

Hi Sarah I found you through another blog. I had two kids born one time and one was friendly and one was not. I happened to have a book on the TTellington Touch and tried it out on the unfriendly one. It worked like a charm. Since I have used it on other kids and it really works.
Enjoyed reading your blog.

Lynnie said...

Hmmm...I've never heard of goats eating raisins! I'll have to keep that tip in my pocket for later. My children also LOVE socializing with our goat kids. I like knowing the goats are growing up used to people. We have one year-and-a-half old goat given to us that is "badly behaved", though, and we're trying to decide whether it's worth it to "teach" her not to jump on anyone, or if it's too much a part of her character by now.

Twinville said...

We use the T Touch on all of our animals and it's worked wonders.
Most of them will let us touch them whenever and however we want.

I'm most surprised at how it's worked well on one of our llamas. I never would have suspected she'd allow us to rub her belly and handle her feet so easily. Wow.

Our new dairy goat doesn't like pellets or grain. Imagine that. She's a hay eater and that's all.

It's gotta be tough to cull your animals. We have a tendancy to treat our critters as pet, so culling them would be especially hard.
My hubby is ready to be rid of the angoras because they are so bossy to the other goats and sheep.
But they are an important part of our fiber farm plans. So, I'm trying to come up with ways to keep them seprate from the other animals.

Anyway, enjoying your blog here. Thanks for sharing your farm life.