Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Getting ready for chickens.

I have fifty baby chicks scheduled to arrive at the beginning of next week. I'm a big ball of nerves, like I am every time I start something new, trying to get everything ready, trying to get everything perfect.

I'm re-reading all of my chicken books, but trying to remind myself that the most I'll learn will be after the chicks arrive, from doing this myself. It's not working. These people that wrote these books know it all, don't they? If I just read enough books and use the knowledge they've shared, I should have no problems. You'd think I would know better by now. But still, here I am, re-reading Pastured Poultry Profits and Raising Chickens at midnight while I have some rare time for myself. I should be watching the latest episode of Bones.

I'm going to get the basic supplies tomorrow - waterers, feeders, chick feed, heat lamp. What is the best bedding to use? I wish I'd reviewed these books two weeks ago before the last of my peat moss went into my garden beds.

Deep breaths, more planning.

No comments: