Monday, May 5, 2008

Big day today.

I got the oats in.

But that's not the big news. Tamari had her babies! I've been watching her like a hawk for two days. Checking through the fence every twenty minutes today, hoping to get a video of a goat giving birth for some friends online. She was getting sick of being watched. I swear I saw her roll her eyes at me. Then I head in the house to put the babes down for a nap. Thirty minutes and she sneaks them out. I'm sure she didn't feel like they snuck out. I came outside and I'd missed the second birth by two minutes, tops.



She had a boy and a girl, both jet black, no white on them that I could see. It looks like the girl may have elf ears while the male definitely has gopher ears. The female is much stockier than the male. So much so that I stuck them together for a picture.



Tamari is a very attentive mother. All of my babies are born now. I start training Physion and Ariel in a few days. I'm much more hopeful about them than Celtic. They're very good mothers who don't kick their babies off.

2 comments:

Nita said...

Congratulations to Tamari and you!
She beat Jetta. Today all she did was watch me in the garden in between her naps.
Do you have a market for your milk or do you use it all?

Sarah said...

Last year we drank all of our milk, but I only had one goat producing. This year I will have four - Tamari, Physion, Ariel, and one named Tiffany who I've had on hold since November - she should be getting here in about a month.

That's a lot of milk, so I'm going to try goat cheese and goat milk soap.