Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Another warm day.

Onion and leek starts and flax are in.

I learned something starting the onions and leeks. It may seem like a good idea to start both onions and leeks in the same tray, but it's really not. Especially with toddlers around who pull out markers. I have my onions and leeks in one bed, all mixed up together. I have no idea which starts are which plant, since I've never started either of these from seed before and they look so similar. This probably means that my leeks will not thrive, and to be honest, I'm not too hopeful about my onions. They looked so fragile when I planted them.

An interesting thing happened when I was sitting on the ground planting my flax seeds. I paused from planting to watch my daughters playing in the 'forest pasture'. I was concentrating pretty hard, so I was holding very still. Then something hit my hand and I started, thinking it was a bug. It was a very tiny yellow winged sparrow type bird. The winter must have been so long, the flax seeds so tempting, and my body so still that the bird thought that it was worth it, and the bird *did* get some seeds. But it still startled both of us when we noticed the others' presence.

In chicken, or rather, rooster, news, both are still alive and doing well. They got separated for a few days, one roosting in our shed above the bum lambs, the other roosting in the forest pasture. I could hear them talking to each other, but it wasn't until today that the forest rooster gained the courage to cross the open field and find his buddy. They look very content roosting together in the shed.

No comments: