Sunday, April 20, 2008

Lots of planting.

Three blueberry bushes are in the ground. We'll see how well they do here.

Junebearing and Everbearing strawberries are in the ground.

Comfrey is in the ground.

Cherry, sandwich, and paste tomatoes, green and purple tomatillos are started.

Anaheim, Banana, Bolivian Rainbow, Jalapeno, and bell peppers are started.

My second batch of lettuces is started.

Goddess, I hope *something* survives being transplanted this year.

Waiting for Matt to help me put the garden fence back up before I plant the peas and such outside.

2 comments:

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Oh, you have been busy!
Tell me, how did you plant your comfrey? From root stock? Or seed?
Did you plant "true Comfrey" or "Bocking 14"? (Can you tell I've been reading up on this? :-)...it would seem that nothing (NO-THING) is ever easy...and planting comfrey is NO exception.
"The Bocking 14 cultivar of Russian Comfrey (Symphytum x uplandicum) is a sterile hybrid that will not self-seed and is extremely robust and vigorous. The true comfrey (Symphytum officinalis) is a bit less vigorous of a grower, has more elongated leaves and (I think) prettier flowers, and does indeed make seed. " (from http://www.horizonherbs.com/pilot.asp?pg=comfrey_root)

Sarah said...

I bought it from a guy back east. I bought six cuttings - that makes me think it's not true Comfrey. Comfrey seed is hard to find!

So far, four out of the six appear to be doing well, one is struggling and one appears to have given up the ghost. But I know how some of my rhubarb cuttings appeared to have died and came back the next year, so I'm hoping these are as hardy.