Saturday, April 12, 2008

I went surfing to try to find help for making goat cheese. And landed in chocolate.

How did I land in chocolate? This website came up on my results list. It's a lovely place - I wish I could visit. They do have intensive language retreats...

But once I pulled myself out of fantasy world travel, I found exactly the type of site I was searching for. It not only has cheese recipes and precise instructions, it has in-depth instructions on milk-handling around milking-time, something I was iffy about last year when I was a rank beginner. Turns out I was pretty much doing it right, but now I have a few new tips to try.

Fias Co Farm, the wonderful website that last year gave me hope that I *could* leave my babies on their mommas as I wanted to, also has a good page about milking procedure.

About 14 years ago, my sister was asking me what my email was. I didn't know *what* email was. She was flabbergasted and said "Do you use the internet much?" Nope, I said, and I don't see the point. What can the internet tell you that you can't learn just as fast or as thoroughly from books in the library? Jeez Louise. I actually said that. Now look at me, surfing the internet at midnight for instructions on goat milking, goat cheese making, and touring France. Can't run to the library at midnight when I want to get information on goat milking. Now off to watch the latest 'The Office' episode, something else I can't run to the library to do. Dwight would appreciate my goat cheese. And I loooves my internet.

5 comments:

Twinville said...

Ooooh! Thanks for sharing those links. I hope to try my hand at that soon, too.

I know what you mean about the benefits of internet. I said the same thing a few years ago, too. My thang was books. I adored books...well I still do, but the internet is so quick finding info.

The only negative, which you found, was that it is so easy to get sidetracked and move from page to page, until your realize that the sun is coming up over your shoulder.....and you thought you had just sat down to the computer at 9pm....last night. (It's true!)

Madeline said...

Thanks for de-lurking at my blog. I really enjoyed reading yours just now. You have beautiful children and one is a red-head like me! Loved her. I will take advantage of your cheese making links. Thanks. I am on the computer a lot and yet, when I read "surfing" for goat info. I thought, "she went surfing" (as in at the beach) to talk to some goat people there?" I guess I am not the web nerd I thought I was.

green said...

Your homestead is a vacation spot worth visiting...

Katey said...

I agree with green. And I think your goat cheese would go well in a lovely beet salad. ; )

Sarah said...

Twin, I've gotta say that I'm still addicted to books. Now I treat my bookshelves more like a library. Lots of reference books - homesteading, financial, cooking, kids...

Madeline, I'm so glad to see you here! Yeah, I was *thrilled* to get a redhead. When she was born, the first thing I noticed was her red hair. My husband and the midwife weren't convinced, but I have enough redhead siblings to know red when I see it. :)

So, Green - is that a statement of intent? Hmmm? You know we'd love to have you visit!