Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Reading...

These cold, windy winter days are good for tucking in and catching up on some reading. There's a book in every room of my house that I can pick up when I have a second.

The New Seed Starters Handbook, by Nancy Bubel. For help starting seeds this year. Last year was a disaster.

Seeds of Deception by Jeffrey M. Smith. Genetically engineered foods take the stage - I was stunned to find out they've been in our diets for over ten years. How do we not know this? Why are they not labeled? This book has led me on a journey in the last week that I should write a separate post about...

The Contrary Farmer by Gene Logsdon. Part self-biography of Gene, part biography of his farm, part biography of every small farm out there, part political cry for action, this is a beautifully written book.

Pastured Poultry Profits by Joel Salatin, Day Range Poultry by Andy Lee and Pat Foreman, and Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow. I won't be ordering my little poults until late, late spring, but I'm already nervous about housing them. I've just found out that weasels and skunks are a big problem around here and those two predators can easily get into the housing I was thinking of using... I may have to use housing I'm not totally happy with for this first year with money being tight.

Lots of different directions my mind is going in these days.

No comments: