Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Gardening magazines.

My husband hates this time of year. It's only the second year, but he already hates it. It's the time of year when I get gardening magazines by the cartload in the mailbox. Last night when he handed me the mail he grumbled something about making me go get the mail with a wheelbarrow.

I don't sign up for these magazines. I order mostly organic, mostly heritage seeds. There aren't THAT many gardening magazines that cater to a consumer like me. They must share their mailing lists.

There's not much better in the winter than curling up with a gardening magazine and dreaming of the season to come. If my garden were to follow exactly the winter planting dreams I have, it would be completely overwhelming.

Luckily, I am constrained by time, space, and energy. Especially since this year I will be gardening with a 3 1/2 year old, a 1 1/2 year old, and a newborn.

My goal this year was going to be starting a CSA garden. Then I found out I was pregnant, so my plans changed. I'm not starting a CSA garden with a newborn. Now my focus will be on growing good starters - something I failed miserably at last year - and planning my garden around good fresh eating veggies and what I can put away.

Off to drool at my magazines again...

1 comment:

green said...

I bet if you shredded the magazines they'd make excellent compost.

Good luck with the chickens!